There is a new ROM in town that has been highly anticipated by many Android enthusiasts known as Chameleon OS or ChaOS for short. The ROM has not been officialy released yet but I managed to get a beta build as well as have a Q and A with the developers.
The team consists of some pretty big names in the community and include 0xD34D, blind, linds6630, leeech, magiman7, hoppermi and ibotpeaches. Ibotpeaches has been active on miuiandroid while the rest of the team is from miui.us and have been there almost since its start.
The ROM currently does not have a huge list of features like some other ROMs, but every mod/tweak I tried worked flawlessly on both my Verizon Galaxy Nexus and my Kindle Fire. The stand out feature of the ROM is that it is the first open source ROM to completely implement the MIUI theming system.
Because the ROM is open source the possibilities are endless. The team plans to add features based on user feedback but some mods that are already planned include customizable lock screens based on MIUI and more security features.
The Team is ultimately trying to achieve an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based ROM that will add some polish to the system and core apps. This is currently done through the theme engine but will later become native.
Feature list at the time of writing:
- Built on CM so basic CM features are included
- Fully open source, contribute features and fix bugs
- Folder icon styles: stacked, grid, or carousel
- Folder sorting: alphabetically, reverse alphabetically, or by usage
- Icon scaling in app drawer and on homescreen
- Home screen previews, rearrangable homescreens
- Set default screen from previews layout
- Add or remove homescreens from previews layout
- Based on MIUI’s theme engine
- Mix and match different themes on the fly
- Theme options: Icons, Status Bar, Boot animation, Font (requires reboot), Messaging, Framework, and Ringtones
- Applies native ctz files, but also will apply MIUI mtz files, not all elements will theme properly with mtz packages
- Animated boot animation preview based
- Boot animation resolution scaling
- Customizable toggles, compact or page view (or off)
- Extended volume panel in page view toggles
- Access status or navigation bars while in fullscreen apps by touching the edge of the screen
- Reads custom notification tones from Contacts
- Revised layout: Added messaging bubbles, removed avatar icons from conversation and put one in the action bar, quick shortcut for emojis
- Manage installed apps’ permissions
Currently supported devices at the time of this writing include:
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Maguro and Toro)
- HTC One S
- HTC One X
- Nexus 4
- Nexus 7
- Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2att and d2vzw)
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (Hercules and Skyrocket)
- Amazon Kindle Fire
Current Native Themes at the time of writing include:
During my use of ChaOS on both my Galaxy Nexus and Kindle Fire I experienced no issues or lags. Every mod/tweak worked as it should and the theming engine worked without any flaws. If you have a supported device I would highly recommend giving ChaOS a try.
I may add, rumor has it they will be doing a giveaway for forum members so you may want to check out the official forum.