The usefulness and portability of a laptop will depend on how great the battery is. Because no matter how great your laptop is, if the battery is weak, the laptop won’t be as useful or as enjoyable as it should be.
In this article, we will discuss how long you can expect your battery to last for before it needs replacing and how to make it last even longer.
- How Long Does a Laptop Battery Last Before it Needs Replacing?
- How to Check Your Laptop Battery Health
- How Can You Take Care of a Laptop Battery to Help it Last Longer?
- When is the Right Time to Buy a New Battery?
- Some Laptops Have a Removable Battery and Some Don’t
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Long Does a Laptop Battery Last Before it Needs Replacing?
A laptop battery usually lasts between 2 to 4 years on average, which is around 1000 charges, but this could be shorter or longer depending on how you use it. The most common sign that a laptop battery is in need of replacement is if your battery doesn’t last as long as it once did, and you find yourself charging it more and more.
How to Check Your Laptop Battery Health
There are different ways that you can check your battery health. The easiest one is to use third-party software. In this particular example, I used the BatteryInfoView to determine the battery health of my laptop.
You can download this application for free online and it is clean from malware, so don’t worry about that.
I got my copy from a trusted website, softpedia.com, to make sure the file is clean. If you don’t already have a copy of BatteryInfoView, you may visit this link: https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/BatteryInfoView.shtml.
So here are the steps on how to check the battery health using BatteryInfoView.
1. Download BatteryInfoView. Downloading the application is very straightforward. All you have to do is go to the link provided above and click download as shown in the screenshot below.
Note: Before you can download the file, there will be a window that pops up. Just choose any server, or you can also donate as a way of supporting the site and the developers.
2. The download should begin shortly after you click download. Once it’s done, you can see the downloaded file in a .zip format. Just extract the file using any file extractor application like 7zip. In this example, I used WinRar.
3. You don’t have to install this application as it is a standalone version. Once you have extracted the file, open the BatteryInfoView.exe.
4. Now that we have BatteryInfoView open, you can check the details of your battery, including battery health. Please take note that this software is only used for viewing the battery status. It does not contain other functions such as tweaks for your battery.
How Can You Take Care of a Laptop Battery to Help it Last Longer?
Whether you like it or not, your laptop battery will get weaker as it ages. Sometimes, the battery will also get weaker if the laptop is not used correctly.
In this section, we will provide some tips on how to take care of a laptop battery so it will last longer.
- When you buy a new laptop, make sure to leave it plugged in for at least 24 hours when charging it for the first time.
- Never drain your laptop battery. Since your laptop battery has finite charge-discharge cycles, it is best to charge it as soon as the battery level gets low. I charge my laptop once my battery gets to around 30%.
- Avoid overheating of your laptop as this may degrade the battery life. Charging in a tight space like the top of the bed will restrict the airflow trapping the heat inside the laptop.
- Utilize power-saving options more often. If your tasks do not require too much power, you can set it to the lowest level.
- Adjust the screen brightness accordingly. Brighter screens will require more power to operate.
When is the Right Time to Buy a New Battery?
The perfect time to buy a new battery is when you notice that the battery life is not just as good as before. A good battery should last for up to six hours when fully charged but this does depend massively on what you are using the laptop for. If you are running games or 4K video editing then expect the battery to need recharging much sooner.
If your laptop battery drains very quickly when just browsing the net or watching YouTube, it’s time to consider getting a new battery. But always be careful when picking up a new battery as there are many fake and poor performing batteries on the market right now. Always buy from trusted stores.
Some Laptops Have a Removable Battery and Some Don’t
One of the benefits of owning a laptop is that you can always change its battery. That is especially the case for laptops that have removable batteries.
Since the batteries of these laptops can be removed without opening the base of the laptop, it is so easy to replace them.
However, some laptops have batteries installed inside the laptop. But the good news is you can always change the batteries of a laptop whether it’s removable or not.
To replace the non-removable battery, you have to open the laptop carefully, but doing so will automatically void the warranty.
You should be able to find a tutorial on how to replace a battery for just about any laptop model on YouTube.
If you don’t know what you are doing and don’t want to risk it, just take it to your nearest technician so they can replace it for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long do laptops last for?
It depends on how powerful the laptop is when first bought. The more powerful it is the longer it will stay useful for. Budget everyday use laptops may only last a couple of years whilst a high powered gaming laptop will last much longer. You can read about how long laptops should last for here www.gizmofusion.com/how-long-do-laptops-last.
If you are thinking of maybe buying a gaming laptop, you may find these reviews for 11 awesome gaming laptops for under $800 useful.
James Cosgrove has been the lead writer at GizmoFusion since 2019. He has a huge passion for the latest technology and gadgets. He loves to talk and write about this interest. He hopes that visitors to the website will find his reports informative and helpful when it comes to making the best choices for their needs.